Tuesday 17 November 2009

Review: Breakfast at Tiffany's


I took my mother to the theatre on Saturday to see Breakfast at Tiffany's, at the Theatre Royal, Haymarket.

Breakfast at Tiffany's is a delightful tale, originally by Truman Capote, which tells the tale of Holly Golightly, an intensely popular socialite who winds up in a spot of trouble. The part is played superbly by Anna Friel, who is a more boisterous and playful interpretation of the character that was so infamously portrayed by Audrey Hepburn, but I think, much closer to Capote's Holly. She makes a valient effort at being as stylish as Hepburn, but the sadness of Holly is delightfully subtle compared to the film version.

The cast obviously know the play inside and out and I have to admit to taking about 15 minutes to adapt to their verbal efficiency. But once my ears had adjusted I was able to sink in to the wonderful characters and their highs and tribulations.

The stage was set with a reverse window frame through which you could see the bustle of the streets outside the famous jewellery store. As the curtain lifted, so did the frame and we were treated to a very stylish set. There were two traditional 'New York' fire exit staircases on wheels, a platform mid way up the back of the set (which was used for various scenes throughout) and a New York skyline which alternated between silhouette and projected image.

The whole play was very stylish and slick and the scene changes were flawless. It payed homage to the orginal film, but still had it's own identity and I liked that. Capote has a real flair for fleshing out his characters and I've always enjoyed his books, but this stage adaptation transported me into Holly's world just like the first time I read Breakfast at Tiffany's.

I'd never been to the Theatre Royal before and I have to say it is a delightful venue with great views of the stage, even from near the back of the stalls. I must add though that they could do with some extra leg space - my Mum and I are always thankful for the intervals!

I'd highly recommend a trip to London for this one, and I know it's all down to advertising, but I have a real penchant for some diamond earrings now...

No comments: