Tuesday 27 January 2009

Review: Hairspray

Last night I was fortunate enough to be invited to join the music department for their trip to see Hairspray the musical at the Shaftesbury Theatre in London.

Having never seen the 1988 Rikki Lake screen portrayal or the newer film version with John Travolta playing Edna Turnblad, I didn't know what to expect. I grew up watching Grease, Grease 2, My Fair Lady, The Sound of Music and other classics. Yes, I am still young enough for them to have been classics even in my childhood! (Except maybe Grease 2, but that one comes highly recommended!)

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the show. The toe-tapping sing-along music perfectly accompanied the shimmy-inducing dance routines and enthusiastic costuming. (I wonder how I can find out where they got Tracy's shoes from in the Mr Pinky scene...) We all left the theatre buzzing from the evening's entertainment and have probably all woken up today with the tunes going round in our heads! I have to admit I have just ordered the Rikki Lake version from Play... well, at £2.99 it's worth having around for an impromptu girly night!

It never ceases to amaze me, the feeling you get from a good night out at the theatre. Spending an evening having people put all that energy into performing, just so that you are entertained, is pretty special.

No comments: