Monday 21 November 2011

If you missed it, you missed out!

I've got to the stage where I don't like seeing trailers for shows and films. I love surprises, so turning up to watch something and have events unfurl in front of me without knowing what's coming is a real treat! That said, I'm in two minds whether to give you a full review of Grimm and Grimmer, The Misadventures of the Brothers Grimm, by Gonzo Moose because you really should go and see it!

This is the first show that the Gonzo's have developed specifically for families, and I think it may be my favourite show yet. Who doesn't want to see a bearded hunchback called Debbie, an adorable furry biscuit eating badger, gobbling Goblins and an elf hunting cowboy? If all that doesn't say Christmas then I don't know what does! Some friends of mine brought their 7 and 9 year old children who absolutely loved it. Never missing an opportunity for laughs, parents and children alike chuckled and giggled their way through the performance as the three actors pushed the story to the limit, using physical theatre, wonderful tricks and effects and as many visual gags as you could throw a plastic ear at. And there was even snow!

The climax of the show used a technique called 'psychic surgery', which Seamus assures me is an actual form of medicine practised in the Philippines. Without wanting to ruin the end, I will only say this.... it all looked VERY realistic and my friends son wouldn't let me tickle his belly after watching it!

Intrigued? Then all I can add it this, you need to go and see it. Seriously. If you see anything (outside of the Bradon Forest Theatre) this Christmas, then make sure it's Grimm and Grimmer. They have a nice long run at the Pegasus Theatre in Oxford, and as always with Gonzo Moose, I can't recommend them enough!

The Gonzo's return to The Bradon Forest Theatre on Saturday 30 June with 'I'm an Aristocrat, Get me out of here!' Tickets are on sale now.

No comments: